Manual handling essentials
Duration: 35 minutes
Many of us move and lift loads in our daily work, often without giving much thought to the potential consequences. Yet, workplace injuries to the back, shoulders and neck are common with millions of working days lost to musculoskeletal disorders every year.
The impact of these injuries can be considerable for employers, but particularly for the individuals involved. While acute injuries may heal quickly, longer-term chronic problems can significantly affect a sufferer’s health, wellbeing and quality of life.
When we lift and move loads during our daily working life, it’s vital that we know how to prevent injury – by actively reducing risks, a better awareness of posture, and using effective manual handling technique.
This elearning module includes a range of learning activities to help you develop your understanding of manual handling.
When you finish the course, you will be asked to demonstrate your understanding by completing a short assessment.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Recognise the potential risks of injury from manual handling tasks
- Appreciate the importance of keeping yourself and colleagues safe from risk
- Assess a range of manual handing factors and take steps to reduce risks
- Plan moving and lifting tasks more effectively
- Use safer technique when handling loads – individually, as a team, and with common workplace aids
Topics explored in this course, Manual handling essentials:
- Manual handling
- Assessing and reducing risks
- Safe manual handling technique
Please click on the file below to download the above information