Finance for Councillors
This session is for councillors only and is designed to give them a greater understanding of their duties with regard to the council’s finances.
- Roles and responsibilities
- Setting a budget and precept
- Financial control
- The Annual Governance & Accountability Return
- Internal and external audit
- How VAT applies to local councils
By the end of the session you will:
- Understand the council's duties regarding financial management
- Be aware of relevant legislation and sources of guidance
- Be aware of how the council's accounts are prepared and audited
- Recognise the importance of internal controls
- Understand how VAT law applies to your council
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years’ experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
This is an interactive session, you will need a device with a reasonable screen size such as a PC, laptop or tablet to be able to participate fully.
Please click on the file below to download the above information.